I would like to update you about Music Midtown 2011 scheduled for Saturday, September 24 from 12:00 pm to 11:00 pm in the Piedmont Park Meadow.
The event will begin at 1:00 pm on Saturday. There are also sound checks scheduled for Thursday, September 22 from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm. There will not be a concert on Friday, September 23.
Music Midtown 2011 will be a gated, ticketed event with approximately 60,000 people, 2 stages and a total of ten artists. The security plan on the day of the festival calls for 85 officers and some of their duties will include neighborhood patrol. Clean up will be handled by Whitten Management and will be extended to a five (5) block radius around the festival site.
There will be limited street and lane closures as follows:
- On Thursday, September 22 from 6:00 am until Sunday, September 25 at 12:00 midnight, the east-bound curb lane (parking lane) of Charles Allen Drive from 8th street to 10th street will be closed.
- On Friday, September 23 from 12:00 am through 6:00 am, one lane of 10th Street from Charles Allen to Piedmont Avenue (on the side closest to Piedmont Park) will be closed. There will be access to the Post Parkside Parking Lot and retail parking lot at all times. This lane will remain closed until Saturday, September 24 from 6:00 am. There will be access to the Post Parkside Parking Lot and retail parking lot at all times.
- On Saturday, September 24 from 6:00 am to Sunday September 25 at 12:00 midnight, 10th Street between Piedmont Ave and Monroe Drive will be closed to non-resident traffic. APD will provide intermittent traffic control for ADA, emergency vehicle and MARTA access during this time. Maps showing the resident only parking areas can be found at www.musicmidtown.com.
- Residents can present a valid driver’s license or recent utility bill with an address within the resident only area to gain access. They can also display a Resident Access Pass. Passes are available for pick-up on Thursday, September 22 and Friday, September 23 in the Grady Parking Lot nearest 10th Street and Charles Allen Drive. The trailer will be staffed from 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm on Thursday and from 7:00 am - 1:00 pm on Friday. There is a limit of two passes per household and residents must present a valid driver’s license or recent utility bill to receive the pass.
- Due to public safety concerns, Atlanta Public Schools has decided to post-pone all games scheduled for Saturday, September 24 at Grady High School.
- On Sunday, September 25 from 12:00 am to 11:00 pm, 10th Street between Charles Allen Drive and Monroe Drive will be closed for load-out of the festival infrastructure (stage, tents, etc).
- APD will be onsite to allow intermittent traffic flow for all vehicles during this period. Traffic will be allowed to move freely as long as there is not pedestrian traffic or production vehicles/equipment actively loading out.
There is a map at the top of this article that details these closures. Electronic message boards are on Monroe Drive, 10th and 14th streets the week leading up to the festival to draw attention to closures. All participants will be encouraged to take MARTA. Clean-up will be extended to the 10th Street MARTA Station and there will be additional portable restrooms on site to accommodate the crowd. For those who choose to drive, information on nearby parking garages will be posted on the event website the week of the festival. The message boards will also direct patrons to parking garages on festival day(s).
Additional information will be provided next week regarding the proper procedure for addressing public safety and illegal parking issues the day of the festival. In the meantime, please direct questions or concerns to www.musicmidtown.com